<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Fri Aug 13 20:18:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 16:05, Mark Johnson wrote:
> > Up until now we've been using Documentation Guide instructions that
> > recommend attributes such as id="s1-top-section" or id="s2-subsection".
>
> To me (& I would guess Karsten), assigning IDs based on the document
> structure seems not to take advantage of ID="meaning-of-content". If
> one wants to give IDs such as id="s1-top-section", one can get the
> same effect by having the stylesheet *not* use IDs as filenames for
> html output. The output filenames then serve the purpose of
> identifying the structural location of the output file within the
> document.
>
> I have to admit that I found it bizarre when I first discovered that
> one would assign IDs as id="s2-subsection", etc. This method seems
> to throw out the possibility to add some content-related info to the
> tags themselves. Don't forget that we're trying to convey meaning
> here. The more semantic meaning we can give to the structural markup
> the better, IMO.

Sorry, I over-genericized the labels. :-) What I would *actually* use in
one of my documents would be something like <sect1 id="s1-introduction">
or <sect2 id="s2-configuring-fstab">. In fact, you'll see that kind of
usage throughout all the documents I've marked up or written myself.
Sorry to give the wrong impression.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE