<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 19:07:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 21:25, Karsten Wade wrote:

> It is probably and properly lost in the annals of Red Hat documentation
> history as to exactly why this format decision came about ... and as for
> sed being your friend, I can tell you it gets harder when you have a
> really big doc that has lots of <xref> tags throughout with hard-coded
> LINKEND to IDs full of s1-, s2-, s3- and so forth.

XSLT will resolve all of them, forward and reverse if needed.

The source of the problem as I see it is the dual use of id attributes.
Just because the stylesheets have an option of using sect1 id values
as file names, it doesn't mean we have to.

If the problems are separated, variant solutions will meet the different
needs.

id values should simply be document unique points used for cross
reference. No more. As the schema says, they are optional.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ