status

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sun Aug 15 15:27:24 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 11:21, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > Is there a document for system hardening?  Is there interest for one?

> If I ask the obvious, will that provide some answer?
> What's system hardening?
> ..
>   Or at least, hardening against what?

Q.v.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardening

"In Computing, hardening is known as the process of securing a system.
This work especially is done to protect systems against attackers.

"This would typically include removal of unnecessary usernames / logins
and the disabling or removal of unecessary services. On a typical
Windows based server, one example would be the disabling of the "print
spooler" as this may not be needed."

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE