<section> vs <sect1>, ... [was: Re: usb-keys]

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 17:43:56 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 18:28, Karsten Wade wrote:

> I think the reasoning behind it is that when you are reading/editing a
> very large guide with many sections, it's easy in the HTML to tell what
> <section> you are in by referencing the HTML file name that came from
> the ID tag.  I think this was more daunting to resolve using DSSSL, so a
> process work around was configured inside Red Hat.  Since it is not so
> daunting, perhaps we should just eliminate the process and customize our
> XSL.  Lot easier to maintain than getting dozens of writers to make
> accurate ID tags. :)

I'll leave that to Tammy.

> > id values should simply be document unique points used for cross
> > reference. No more. As the schema says, they are optional.
>
> It is nice for xref.
Essential for cross referencing.

>  We could have ID tags for only sections that you
> wanted to xref?

That was the intent of the id attribute in XML, i.e. only add it
on those elements which are targets.

>   Again, the ID needs to be only meaningful enough for
> the author to figure out what it is, since, as you say, we can have XSL
> give meaningful file names separately from the ID tag.

Not even meaningful, just unique to the instance?
The standard XSLT stylesheets have a configuration (split output) option
to use id values as filenames. But that only applies at ... Tammy? is it
sect1 elements?
  For any other id values, its arbitrary.

> So ... where will the XSL get the information from for making meaningful
> file names on the opposite side?  From the <title>?

Dangerous.
  The title content, as well as having spaces, could have all sorts of
Unicode in it. That would make for bad filenames.

Depends on what is currently in use.

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Chunking.html#ChunkFilenames shows
the options for xslt processing.

Take your pick.
I'd personally let the processor pick the filenames, but I don't attach
much importance to them. YMMV :-)

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ