Emacs/psgml problem

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 18:45:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 10:35, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 18:23, Karsten Wade wrote:
>

> > FWIW, in SGML I have never had a problem with an unclosed <xref>.  I've
> > always written it as just plain <xref linkend="target"> without a
> > </xref>.  Of course, this is not legal in XML, so you have to include
> > it.
>
> You are probably using the old SGML processing chain then Karsten?
> Surely we don't want SGML docs around?

$DAYJOB still uses SGML, whenever I refer to "my" or "our" SGML
experience, it's from that.

FWIW, this is part of the reason why companies like Red Hat Enterprise
Linux over Fedora or any other fast moving project.  By the time we
reached the go/no-go decision on using XML for the next release of RHEL,
the toolchain wasn't mature enough.  Regardless of what happens after
that decision moment, we're stuck with what we have until we put the
fancy wrappings on the next release.

Another reason I hang out here, it keeps me from going crazy stuck in
SGML-land. :)

> James Clark's sx will convert, but having done a few megs of SGML to XML
> for xfree-86, I can say its a PITA.

Ouch.  Ouch.  I'm sorry to hear you say that.  I was hoping that it was
going to be as easy as changing the DOCTYPE header.  We try to be XML
compliant with our SGML ... we'll see how it goes in the future.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41