mirror-tutorial

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 19:29:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 11:58, Hoyt wrote:
> On Monday 16 August 2004 02:49 pm, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > I had a few pieces I was going to write up to contribute to
> > FedoraNEWS.org about how to use ISOs as the source for the mirrored
> > base.  This lets you save disk space, and I'm sure I'm not the first
> > person to figure it out, but I've never seen exactly how to do it.  Is
> > this something you do?  I'd be happy to contribute the pieces to both
> > the FDP and FedoraNEWS.org.
>
> I think it's better to use the DVD ISO images. (Use Chris Kloiber' mkdvdiso.sh
> script on CD-ROM images.)

I've never downloaded one, since I only have a CD burner and am
conservative with my disk usage.  It looks as if the DVD is both the
RPMS and SRPMS?

> Simply mount them using the loopback option. When satisfied, put all the
> entries in fstab.

Right, much easier than my method, which involves an additional layer --
mounting them to /foo/disc{1,2,3,4} and making symlinks to the packages
into one monolithic folder, where some of the folders are real and some
are symlinks.

> If you want to mount selected directories in different places to conform to
> the ftp file directory structure, use the mount --bind olddir newdir form of
> the mount command.

Since I like to be able to burn CDs for various reasons, I probably
won't download the DVD until I have more disk space.

In terms of the tutorial, I'd recommend covering both methods, for the
same reason -- bandwidth and disk space issues.  Some people will create
their initial mirror set from a CDs they get in the postal mail, because
their connection is too slow or costly to download 4+ gigs.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41