taking screenshots - new section for Documentation Guide (was installation guide)

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sat Aug 28 12:25:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 06:30, Dave Pawson wrote:
> > I have seen the most problem in the PDF builds, but the HTML builds also
> > seem to do funny stuff with more vertical space if you don't run your
> > first and last text against the opening and closing <screen> tags,
> > respectively. In other words, given these two examples:
> >
> > <!-- first example -->
> > <screen>
> > <computeroutput>
> > foo
> > bar
> > </computeroutput>
> > </screen>
> >
> > <!-- second example -->
> > <screen><computeroutput>foo
> > bar</computeroutput></screen>
> >
> > The second example renders into a more pleasing vertical context,
> > without a lot of wasted space. The PDF, IIRC, was particularly ugly if
> > you didn't use the second form, but I seem to remember the HTML also was
> > noticeably different.
>
> What processing tools Paul?
>   And why is computeroutput necessary within screen? I'd have thought an
> either or was more reasonable for the processor to sort out?

I'm using the standard toolset and practices from the Documentation
Guide. Maybe that piece should be revisited in the Documentation Guide,
which indicates the proper syntax looks like this:

<computeroutput>Uh-uh, you can't do that.</computeroutput></screen>

I certainly have no problem doing it some other way... If someone knows
that this is wrong or confusing to most (or all?) toolsets, file a bug
against the documentation-guide so we can track and fix it.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE