Style guide

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Sun Aug 29 07:07:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 03:33, Mark Johnson wrote:

> My points (and questions), are then:
>
> - What, if any, should be the required metadata content for standard
>    fedora docs (which at this point are tutorially structured)?

Suggest minimally a *info for the top level, perhaps one per
separate file (delivered) which would be sect1.
 This to allow some record of changes with the actual document.

For any more, perhaps a better question is who want the metadata,
hence what might they want?
  And I can't think of any 'customers' for metadata.

> Put another way, should we require some initial sections titled, e.g.:
>
> - intended audience
>
> - goals of this document (N.B. these are different from the scope as
>    described below), and also provide a basis from which readers can
>    file bug erports. E.g. Bug pointing out how doc doesn't achieve a
>    given goal.

Yes, but only a few lines/couple of para's; intention to stop people
who are reading the wrong doc?

> - scope of this document (what it does/doesn't addressed in this
>    section.

Ditto above?

> FWIW, the inclusion of this type of document metadata is used by a
> number of orgnaizations, so I'm not proposing anthing new here.
> Standard stuff, but can add great value to a document.

Our definitions of metadata are at different levels :-)
Audience, goals etc I'd see as part of the document.
No matter.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ