taking screenshots - new section for Documentation Guide (was installation guide)

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 02:13:39 UTC 2004

Karsten Wade wrote:

> Okay, so the proposals for new ID generation rules are:
>
> 1. "similar-to-title"
> 2. "s.similar.to.title"
> 3. "sn-similar-to-title"

I vote for

1 (b). s.similar-to-title

as it provides a different separator to distinguish structural info
from semantic, content-related info.

>>I have seen the most problem in the PDF builds, but the HTML builds also
>>seem to do funny stuff with more vertical space if you don't run your
>>first and last text against the opening and closing <screen> tags,
>>respectively. In other words, given these two examples:
>>
>><!-- first example -->
>><screen>
>><computeroutput>
>>foo
>>bar
>></computeroutput>
>></screen>
>>
>><!-- second example -->
>><screen><computeroutput>foo
>>bar</computeroutput></screen>
>>
>>The second example renders into a more pleasing vertical context,
>>without a lot of wasted space. The PDF, IIRC, was particularly ugly if
>>you didn't use the second form, but I seem to remember the HTML also was
>>noticeably different.
>

> I can't get anything to build PDF right now to test this, but in HTML I
> see the same thing as output, so am not sure of the advantage of the
> different way you suggest it.
>
> I do notice that doing sgml-fill-paragraph will make them line up like:
>
> <screen><computeroutput>foo bar</computeroutput></screen>
>
> Then introducing the line break gets the functionality you mention.
>
> Ultimately, I think we will want to drop the redundant <computeroutput>
> and use a CDATA container instead.  In that case, _all_ whitespace will
> be considered for certain.  All content will need to use the left margin
> of the XML as starting point for indention.

FWIW, I've switched over to
<screen><![CDATA[ ...verbatim content... ]]></screen>
with no ill effects (yet).

Example:

<screen><![CDATA[<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook
V4.1//EN">]]></screen>

There are those times when having the capability of just dumping
your content into a CDATA section can really simplify the markup.

OTOH, if the HTML/CSS styling issue Tammy brings up presents
problems, then I'd support using <computeroutput>.

FWIW, the <screen><computeroutput> combo doesn't seem to add anymore
semantic info due to overlap in meaning between the two elements.

My $0.02,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation Group
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242