Rough start... (emacs byte-compiling)

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 02:50:18 UTC 2004

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 17:10, Mark Johnson wrote:
>
>>Either way, don't forget to byte compile the new .emacs.
>
> Always something new for me to learn ...

Actually, when you fire up emacs, it reads .emacs.elc, the
byte-compiled version of your .emacs file (I think), so re-compiling
the file after making changes is essential.

> Was this a step in the PSGMLX setup?

Probably forgot to mention it, but PSGMLX does automagically byte
compiles any of its *own* files if you edit them, so you don't need
to worry about compiling any changes you make to the default PSGMLX
configuration.

> I hadn't heard about the value of
> byte-compiling in Emacs (until I just google'd about it).
>
> Can you give us the shortcut method and reasoning?

The reasoning is that the code will execute faster because it's
partially compiled.

The shortcut method is to use the menus (when in elisp mode):
Emacs-Lisp -> Byte-compile This File

Of course, 'M-x byte-compile-file' also does the trick.

There are other byte-compiling options that may make more sense for
a given context. See the attached screenshot
'emacs-byte-compiling.png' for a visual of the menu-based usage.

HTH

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation Group
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242