installation guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 17:09:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 18:52, Tammy Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 19:33, Karsten Wade wrote:
> >
> > > Here's another one I just thought of; the GDSG mentions this as well:
> > >
> > > 4. Graphics should not be included unless you absolutely *cannot* get
> > > along without it. There's no reason to include repetitive screenshots of
> > > parts of the interface that are easily explained in a sentence.
> > > (Example: anaconda runs several progress bars when it computes package
> > > dependencies, writes an install image to the drive, etc.... those don't
> > > need to be screenshotted. Wait, is that a real word?)
> >

> I agree as long as we also keep the following in mind (from what I have
> learned working on the Red Hat IGs for 4 years and attending a usability
> study where newbies were given the IG and asked to install RHL for the
> first time):

This makes sense.  The IG is a special creature -- the screens are
sequential and don't have a bunch of pop-ups or menus to get lost in.
For the IG, having at least one screenshot for each Anaconda page makes
sense.

I think this "fewer screenshots is better" rule applies mainly to
regular GUI applications.  There is a style of how-to that has a
screenshot for each piece of the GUI -- here's the drop down menu,
here's the sub-menu, here's selecting the sub-menu, here's the window
that comes up, here's the box checked, here's another box checked, etc.

> 1. Many people use the IG as a reference. When they get stuck, they
> refer to the Installation Guide and try to find help from that point
> forward. If this is the case, having a screenshot to match the one they
> are stuck on helps tremendously.
>
> 2. For people following the IG sequentially from the first screen
> forward, having a screenshot that looks like the one they are on helps
> confirm that they are proceeding correctly and makes them feel confident
> that they are performing the installation correctly.
>
> 3. Users find it useful to see sample data entered into the sample
> screenshot even if it is listed in the text. Some people just learn
> better visually.
>
> > That seems reasonable.  It's nice to have one screenshot to show the
> > whole GUI, if that helps.  It's probably better to have too few
> > screenshots than too many.
> >

> That being said, whoever is taking the screenshots should take them all
> and a few extra just in case we decide it is actually needed later. This
> will keep the size and sample data entered consistent throughout the
> screenshots.

Wise suggestion.

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer