Problems using a wireless mouse unfer FC2

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Mon Jul 26 14:07:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 15:15, Hoyt wrote:
> > > What can I do? Is there a driver for that?
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > This list, fedora-docs-list, is for discussing Fedora documentation, not
> > for technical help with Fedora.
>
> This issue arises frequently.
>
> Perhaps it's time to look at it as a documentation issue.
>
> What process did they arrive at in choosing this list?
>
> How can we use the answer to improve the system and get those who need help to
> the correct place on the first try?

The snarky answer would be "improve literacy throughout the user
community." But that's not really answering your question. ;-) I think a
good start would be for Red Hat to include a notation in their listinfo
pages for fedora-docs-list in a large, easy-to-read, highlighted box,
reading in effect:

	"The fedora-docs-list is for discussion of Fedora documentation, *not*
for technical assistance. If you are looking for help with a Fedora
issue, such as how to accomplish a certain task, go to the
**fedora-list** [link] pages instead. Thank you!"

I think it's currently very easy for people to mistake one for the
other, because they think, "Aha, 'docs' -- that must be where I can find
HOWTOs and such." We need to learn that as the user community expands,
so too does the tendency to "think like a geek" drop concomitantly. I
don't think we'll ever arrive at a 100% success rate with getting the
right people to a solution on the first try, although it's certainly a
noble goal. But what we should *never* have is users flailing after the
second try -- that number should be 100% almost without exception, if
you get my meaning.

Cheers!

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE