Volunteer / Would like to participate

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 20:07:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 01:34, Marc Bruggeman wrote:
> To the Fedora Documentation Project maintainer (Tammy Fox),
>
> I have been using and experimenting with Linux over the past 5 years.
> Mostly Red Hat distributions (from 6.0 onwards I have used them all,
> exept 8.0) but also tried out Debian, Mandrake and Slackware on several
> occasions.  As I am a telecomm professional my interest was more in how
> to set up the different protocols and configure the system(s) and try to
> figure out why things were/are done in such or such a way.
> In my professional career I have also written lots of technical
> documents and presentations and project reports in several languages
> (Dutch, English, French).
> Lately, I feel I would like to contribute in a way to the whole Open
> Software movement and because I feel most comfortable using the redhat
> distributions and now Fedora, I would like to volunteer to work on the
> documentation project.
>
> I am on Fedora Core 2 right now, have downloaded the documentation files
> via CVS and am reading trough the guidelines and Emacs tutorials. I must
> admit that so far, I have not yet really used Emacs and the other
> mentioned tools, but hey, that will give me a new challenge and a reason
> to learn something new.
>
> Please let me know if I can be of any help to this project, or if you
> would need more specific info, do not hesitate to contact me !

Speaking just as a project member, I would say, Yes!, we need more
help.  Right now we need:

* Writers of new documents, especially those who can understand the
tools
* Helpers, who can assist non-DocBook users in getting documents in the
proper format

After we have some more submissions, we will need editors, and one day,
translators.

As for what can you write about?  The question comes back to you, what
are you interested in?  Tell us, we'd like to talk about it.  When you
have something, submit it to the list.  Look for collaborators.  See if
your idea is being worked on in another way.

Welcome!

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41