New Volunteer

DaveP dpawson at nildram.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 18:55:54 UTC 2004

At 00:36 18/06/2004, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > >Instead, have you considered connecting from your Windows OS via PuTTY
> > >(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) to a Fedora Core
> > >server with the Authoring and Publishing package group installed (i.e.,
> > >docbook-*, tetex, xmlto, etc.)?
> >
> > Now that is hard :-) I do it for a wiki server I have at work.
>
>What is hard about using PuTTY to run 'make html' at the shell?

I thought you meant running emacs via putty.

>Okay, okay, that's fine if Emacs runs well under Windows.

Just as well as it does on Linux.

>I was thinking more about the toolchain.  If it were myself, with a good
>running copy of Emacs under Windows, I would still use PuTTY to scp my
>XML to the server.

I dont' know what scp is.
I generally use a local (to windows) tool chain to check that
what I've written is valid, that the resultant html is good etc.
   Final deliverable is XML, so I don't need to use dsssl.

>My reasoning for keeping the Fedora docs toolchain running under Fedora
>Core is that is where it is designed to run, best to troubleshoot, and
>somewhat supportable/fixable.

Is it used only for interim viewing though?
The end result html is built by redhat staff isn't it?

> > (don't know why, but defending win32 :-)
>
>I don't either, and not from a value judgment about Windows OSes
>position, but because this is not a discussion list about running
>DocBook-based tools under Windows.  I didn't want to sound mean and
>tyrannical to Brad or any other user who has to exist under Windows, I
>just thought a solution that was thematic with the beginning and ending
>(FIFO - Fedora in, Fedora out) might make more sense.

I guess it depends why you want to style the xml?

regards DaveP