eos-guide-en-0.1

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Sun Jun 27 02:20:43 UTC 2004

You can find the tarball for this document, if interested, at:

  http://docs.frields.org/

I've formatted it as a DocBook XML book rather than an article since I
felt the size and derivation warranted that treatment. I wrote a small,
probably self-indulgent, and definitely unnecessary foreword, addressing
the purpose of the book, and the changes that will be made. Note the
foreword talks about them in the past tense, whereas I haven't actually
started the content portion yet. I intend to change the content to
include examples from real Linux documentation to make the book more
on-point with the FDP.

I'm considering possibly removing the minor personalization I've done,
and "freezing" that copy for public distribution, also under the FDL,
with a "pristine" text of the 1918 edition. This is only slightly
complicated by the fact that before I came up with this idea, I made
three or four very minor alterations in the text to correct outdated
usage. Nevertheless, I can probably locate those portions and return
them to their original state in a few hours of proofreading.

I still have a sticky situation, though, which I have not been able to
fully address, which is the treatment of the section numbering. I chose
to assign the chapters roman numeral labels (I, II...) to match the
original, and used <simplesect> sections so that I could manually number
the rules as in the original text, with the numbering persisting across
chapters, rather than mucking with awkward labeling like "III.2" caused
by the chapter labels and the automatic formatting from (I assume) the
various XSL and other widgets. (Don't shoot me please, I'm not a
doc-tools expert, I just use 'em.) If anyone has comments, let me know,
even if it's just to agree with the method I used.

I tried to get the whole book as consistent as possible. At this point
I've worked on it most of the day (and night) Friday and all day today,
and have decided to take the day off tomorrow... at least until the bug
hits again. Enjoy!

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE