Software Management Tutorial

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Tue Nov 16 23:18:36 UTC 2004

--- Stuart Ellis <s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Setting up FC3 this weekend I noticed that the
> Keeping Up to Date
> tutorial written for the FC2 version of yum, and is
> fairly terse.  So
> I've written up a more comprehensive tutorial on
> up2date and yum.

this is nice. a few points

provide screenshots wherever applicable. I would like
the whole document filled with it to look like a
tutorial

you should explain old yum behavior too which doesnt
have invidual repos and probably the advantages of
this setup as a note

explain yum remove and put a warning on rpm -ivh
section not to force install packages unless they know
what they are doing clearly.

what happened to the installation guide btw. I was
hoping it would be in the final form when fc3 was
finished. if you arent revising it alteast push for
its inclusion in the current form with screenshots so
that we can revise it later on. the mailing lists are
frequently filled with questions about installation
and it would nice to just point them to the
installation guide instead of answering the same stuff
repeatedly. I have just lost count of how many times I
have posted the release notes to the list. it has
finally been added to the docs section.

regards
Rahul Sundaram

=====