more feedback on the updates guide

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Fri Nov 19 17:13:53 UTC 2004

Hi

I have a few more points to add to the guide
---

A section on managing updates with the suggestion that
users should keep the amount of software installed in
their system to the minimum necessary to keep updates
manageable

there are in general three types of updates

1) security
fedoranews.org has a [security] tag for important
security updates. a reference to this website would be
useful
2) bugfixes
3) new features - this is a optional type of update
which users need not apply if they dont want the
additional features

Announcements on updates are delayed by Redhat inorder
for mirrors to be synced. this is a faq which is to be
answered in the guide.such updates are tagged with
[missing] in fedoranews.org.

a changelog is part of the redhat announcements and
can be found in rpm -q packagename --changelog

Rahul Sundaram

=====
Regards
Rahul Sundaram