workflow (was Progress report)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 19:35:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 13:56, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 16:03, Tammy Fox wrote:
> >
> > I set up 129722 for docs that were through the proof phase and were
> > ready to push live. So, technically, they aren't supposed to move there
> > yet. I would blame the docs, but I helped write them. ;-)
>
> You can't blame them anyway, it was my fault. I went back and reviewed
> the Quick Start Guide again, and it does state that "once the writer and
> editor feel it is ready to be published to the website, make bug 129722
> depend on this bug so the project maintainer can review it and post it
> to the website." I didn't read carefully enough, so shame on me.

I've read this several times now, and I still get the same
interpretation.

1. Writer (Paul) and Editor (Karsten) think the doc is ready, so it gets
pushed to 129722

2. Web editor/maintainer (Tammy) continues workflow in 129722, doing a
final edit before publishing.

Isn't this what Paul did?

Now, if what Tammy -meant- was that 129722 was only for docs that are
totally edited, and literally just in the queue for inclusion on the
website, then we need to fix the docs to reflect that.

I think of this in terms of the roles and the workflow.  In the current
situation, Tammy is filling several roles, i.e., project maintainer, Web
maintainer, publication editor, etc.  Since these are roles, they can be
parsed into different people, and their actions are associated with
different phases in a document's lifecycle.

Below is a representation of the workflow, aiui.

In this situation, I completed the Editing phase and sent the documents
onto the Publication phase, which is represented in 129722.  In that
phase, if Tammy finds enough problems, she can send it back to me to
resolve as I see fit, or bounce it all the way back to the Writing
phase.  The latter wouldn't usually occur; minor edits can be done by
the publication editor, editor, or writer.

A different workflow, which is what I think Tammy is talking about,
would have two parts to the Editing phase, or just insert a Publication
Editing phase after the Editing phase.  So, it just comes down to where
we think the final-final edit/check-over should be in the workflow.

# Current Workflow

## Writing phase

Writer writes
Editor observes

## Editing phase

Editor edits, can send back to Writing phase or send on to Publication
phase

## Publication phase

Publication editor does a final read, approves or sends back to Editing
or Writing phases.

Web maintainer takes a document, only after it's been approved for
publication, and puts it on the site.  Any problems after that go
through a bug maintenance phase.

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise