Installation Guide

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 23:06:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:35:40 -0700 (PDT), "Rahul Sundaram"
<rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in> said:

> Please ask the readers to check the relevant release
> notes early

There was a paragraph for this in the introduction, which I've now
reworked to make the Release Notes more prominent.

> http://www.se.clara.net/fedora/fedora-install-guide-en/s1-aborting-installation.html
>
> The above section might be better as a note

I agree - this has now been moved to chapter 2 as a note.

> http://www.se.clara.net/fedora/fedora-install-guide-en/s1-selinux.html
>
> Might be important to linux to the current fedora
> selinux faq

The targetted policy means that SELinux shouldn't interfere with
anything other than the network services it locks down, so it ought to
be invisible to most users.  I wrote the text to read quickly with each
section as self-contained as possible for those readers who just want to
look up one item, so I would rather avoid putting external links in the
main chapters, but see below...

> Why havent you given the screenshots yet?

The view was that we should get the text done, and then do all of the
screenshots at once for consistency.  So at the moment there are just
placeholders where screenshots should be.

>It might be worth it to write a faq and refer to that in this
> guide

There isn't an official FAQ at the moment, but there is an unofficial
FAQ Website and couple of other very popular independent sites on the
Web offering support.  Building some kind of relationship between the
various groups will be a big task - at the moment I don't think that the
Fedora Project "officially" recognises or endorses any of these sites,
so we can't really include links to them.

On the other hand I think that the Installation Guide should provide a
smooth progression for new users by suggesting how they might use their
new system, and pointing them to other sources of information that are
available.  I have an idea about this, but it needs a bit more thought.
--
Stuart Ellis
s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk