screenshot instructions

Dashamir Hoxha dasho at ma-isp.com
Wed Sep 1 12:20:09 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 12:58 pm, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > * Everything inside a <screen> tag is assumed by default as
> >   computeroutput, unless otherwise stated.
>
> Do you mean by "assumed by default as computeroutput" to mean, whenever
> you use a <screen/> block, you will be surrounding a <computeroutput/>
> block unless otherwise stated?

No, I mean that everything that is not tagged is assumed to be computer
output. So, there should be no tag <computeroutput> inside a <screen> tag.

> > * The prompt should be denoted like this: <prompt>bash#</prompt>
> >   or <prompt>bash$</prompt> (depending on whether it is the root
> >   or any user).
>
> The current usage is to not include a prompt.  Refer to the Note at the
> bottom of this page:
>
> http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/s1-xml-tags-prompt
>.html
>
> Personally, I agree with this from an aesthetic viewpoint.
>
> Unless the point is to display the prompt for discussion, it is long and
> clutters the view, confusing the reader with a big block of text that
> may not even describe what they are looking at.

I think that a prompt like 'bash$' or 'bash#' is not confusing and it is even
helpful. E.g. it makes clear immediatly that what follows is a command
and whether this command needs to be executed as root or not.

> It seems redundant to put a <command> tag inside of a <userinput> tag

No, I don't mean inside a <userinput> tag, but without it (instead of it).
A command is actually userinput, but the tag <command> describes it
better (more specificly) than <userinput>.

> Tough consensus to reach, apparently.  So much of this is up to style
> and represents various levels of "correct".

If a consensus cannot be reached, then I think that it should not be
included in the guide, or should be included like a suggestion, not
like a rule that everybody has to follow.

Dashamir