Emacs error

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 16:15:45 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:52, Karsten Wade wrote:

> > Yes, either as Karsten says,
> > or the emacs way;
>
> Please don't do as Dave says, unless he can truly fix this problem.
Its not a problem Karsten. Its the way psgml is supposed to work?

> If you use a Local Variable instead of a .ced file, the indenting is off
> by two;
so address that problem? Unrelated to finding the schema?

> I assume Dave would then run the file through an XSLT before doing XML
> diffs[1].  That seems like a lot of steps to me.
No. I keep saying (OK once :-) that plain text diffs on xml are
... not right.

> If you use a Local Variable, and the rest of the project is using .ced
> files, then doing a diff on your file with an editor is going to be
> impossible.
Thats a project weakness. Nothing to do with schema location.

> I've run these experiments numerous times, but if someone can point out
> the error in my method to let us use Local Variable, I am more than
> happy to use this easier method.

The error is using the wrong tools.
I edit pretty large xml files in emacs quite a lot.
I also use nxml-mode with xml-mode and believe me
hacking that 4 liner to the bottom of the file
is the easier option.
  If you are bothered by the indents,
fix the elisp for sgml-mode,
 or ask on psmgl-list for Lennart to do it!

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ