Emacs error

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Sep 6 23:47:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 12:38, Mark Johnson wrote:

> Regarding the indenting issue: I've heard this is a problem for
> translation, but one should be still be able to produce reasonable
> diffs w/ some work around. Or someone could test the GPL tool
> 'xmldiff'[1], to see if it cares about indentation.

> [1] http://www.logilab.org/projects/xmldiff/

Sounds like a fine approach to me.  Here is where we stand:

* Until we learn otherwise, we need to practice a given set of rules
(outlined in the Doc Guide) to keep editing and translating feasible.
These rules include whitespace (and indenting) practices.

* Those who are interested should a) research XML diff tools, and b)
bring this up with the translation team (fedora-i18n-list) to find out
what they want to and are able to do.  I just joined that list, and am
prepared to discuss toolchains.

So, while I'm all for Local Variables and letting people indent and use
whitespace as they wish, until we *know* that our documents can be
internationalized with available tools, we must stick with what works,
regardless of our personal preferences.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41