version control on website

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Wed Sep 15 12:39:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 07:05, Karsten Wade wrote:
> How are we going to organize different versions of documents on the
> website?
>
> Option 1. By FC version, then document.
>
> f.r.c/docs
>   -> FC2
>     -> Tutorial 1
>     -> Tutorial 2
>   -> FC3
>     -> Tutorial 1
>     -> Tutorial 2
>
> Option 2. By document, then FC version.
>
> f.r.c/docs
> -> Tutorial 1
>   -> FC2
>   -> FC3
> -> Tutorial 2
>   -> FC2
>   -> FC3
>
> Option 3. Other ideas?

I don't see why we can't have both... Two links, "Index by Core
release," then organized alphabetically within each release number, and
"Index by Subject," organized by release number within each tutorial. Am
I missing something?

Also, it might not be a bad idea for the editorial folks to, on
publication of a new tutorial, make a list of one or more questions
answered by the tutorial. Those questions should be organized into a
kind of FAQ, or quasi-FAQ (QFAQ?), which a reader uses to follow a link
to the appropriate tutorial in the "Index by Subject," e.g.:

  How do I configure update notifications?
  How do I keep my system updated?
  How do I update my system?
  What is up2date?
  What is yum?

These are all questions that would link to the update-tutorial. This
list would get pretty long, but the page should be searchable simply by
using the Web browser "search" function. I don't see a need to design a
complicated Web interface (search engine, indexing, etc.) for this
purpose. What do you think?

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE