version control on website

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 08:17:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 15:12, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I see your point, Tammy, but my feeling would be to opt for only two (or
> three) subheadings under the current "Docs" nav bar entry:
>
>   Docs
>     by Title
>     by FC Release
>     [FAQ]*
>
> *This would be that extra structure I mentioned; not really a FAQ, but
> an organization of questions that would link to the Title index.

I.e., "by Title" expands to have a list of all documents by title in
alpha order, and "by FC Release" expands to a short list of release
numbers, which then expand to a set of document titles that are just
part of that release?

One immediate problem I see is a maintenance nightmare.  As much as we
would like to have a CMS, this is currently a manual process.  We need
to focus on a simple structure that works, and let Google do the
indexing for us. :)

> With the very aggressive release schedule of Fedora Core, it wouldn't be
> long before the nav bar became very crowded (FC2 through FC6, anyone?).
> The Docs Project doesn't currently have a policy for when we won't
> publish documentation anymore for a release, and I'm not sure we should
> have one. There may be people as comfortable staying with certain
> releases as they were staying with, say, Red Hat Linux 7.3. I would try
> and leave the nav bar as generic as possible while still being useful.

It seems reasonable to hand-off maintenance on version-specific docs to
the Fedora Legacy project, when the matching version of FC is
handed-off.

An author could choose to continue to work on the document, but it is
now under the aegis of the Legacy group, who are presumably just
following the examples and rules we have set.

Just like supporting the software, we have to draw the line on how far
back this project is going to support documents.  We don't have the
resources to support a version of FC for several years.  Tying the
lifecycle of our documents into the entire distro lifecycle seems like a
good idea.

Just my personal pennies,

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41