draft notice text

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 15:23:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 09:55, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 04:39, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > > 2. If it is a Really Long URL, then following the same solution to
> > > define the entity, but usage is:
> > >
> > > <ulink url="BUG-URL;">pre-filled bug report</ulink>
> > >
> > > NOTE - if you use a long URL that includes '&' characters, you _must_
> > > change them to & in the XML so that they process into the correct
> > > characters when rendered.
> >
> > Oops ... looks like there are plenty of special characters that have
> > other meaning in the ENTITY space, such as %.  I tried to do option 2.,
> > and the build broke on the %.
> >
> > I had to change 97 % to % ... and it worked.
>
> I agree with the approach, and with the usage. One question: for Very
> Long URLs, should the actual URL appear somewhere like a <footnote>?
> Normally we use the URL as the content body as well as the "url"
> parameter for <ulink>.
>
> I like the idea that people will be able to read the document online and
> immediately register problems if they have any. Customer service at its
> finest!
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields, RHCE

For docs created for RHEL, etc. we decided that the URL should be part
of the text since when the decision was made we printed the docs. So,
our rule was, if the URL is short, it should be inline text. If it is
long and might line wrap, include it in screen tags so it is always
rendered on its own line.

Tammy