draft notice text

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Sep 18 18:47:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 11:19, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:

> > will get to choose to
> > use a parallel XML toolchain based on the FDP tools for the Enterprise
> > Linux 4 release ... well, probably nearly exactly the FDP tools with our
> > XSL
>
> This is the hope, anyway. FDP certainly provides an excellent test
> case for a given toolchain.
>
> However, we may end up with something entirely different, like a
> java-based system.
>
> We may, e.g., decide that Saxon is more appropriate as an XSLT
> processor (due to its docbook & other extensions), and that FOP is
> adequate for our FO --> PDF needs, instead of having to revert to
> the tried & true jade/DSSSL combo for PDF output. XSLT and XSL-FO
> are simply easier to deal with than is DSSSL.

Well, I was specific about being general ;-) ... perhaps FDP should
consider the solution you suggest for the same reasons.  There is
synergy that would come out of having the toolchains in alignment.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41