pdf toolchain notes & suggestions

Dave Pawson davep at dpawson.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 16:52:27 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 20:12, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I believe the broken part of the FDP XML -> PDF toolchain is due to
> the passivetex component of the TeX backend.

Its been pretty much unused for a long time now Mark.

> > XSLFO using xmltex) ever being able to work 100%
>
> Hence I think it's time to consider a different toolchain for pdf
> output.

+1

> Two possibilities come to mind: FOP [1] and dblatex [2]. IMO fop
> would be the better choice as customizing the output requires XSL
> expertise, whereas dblatex requires LaTeX expertise to customize the
> output.

+1 to fop.
  I'd guess that the majority of customisation could be done via
the xslt. If not I have some familiarity with xsl-fo.
 http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xslfo/index.html

> If we were to adopt FOP, it would be nice to get it working under
> gcj (via gij), so that we stick to a 100% free toolchain, though I
> think it will also run under kaffe [3]. Some testing would clearly
> need to be done... And if such a toolchain proves sufficient for the
> needs of the FDP, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to find
> someone to package FOP.
>
> I hope this info helps us get to work on building a new XML -> PDF
> toolchain:)

Is there any substantial objection to using Sun java as part of
a toolchain?

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ