kernel-compilation-tutorial

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Tue Sep 28 21:46:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 14:19, Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> I just hacked together what I understand form the flamewars.  I am about
> to try to follow my own instructions now and see if I'm even close. :-)
>
> Coments are absolutely welcome.  I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Your work is welcome. A couple hints on how to proceed:

1. Check out the Quick Start Guide [1] for an easy to read intro to how
things [are supposed to] work with FDP. Especially important is the
section on what you as a writer should be doing other than just working
through the ideas.

2. You might want to learn enough Emacs to make your DocBook XML editing
easier. I never knew more vi than I needed to get by, but learning the
same amount of Emacs wasn't any more difficult. The Docs Guide [2] has a
chapter on using psgml, but there's also nXML and psgmlx out there too.

3. You should include a better Introduction in your tutorial. Doing this
helps you get an idea of what you want to accomplish in the tutorial,
and also what you *don't* want to accomplish. That helps keep you on
point and prevents your document from spinning off-topic. If you want an
example, I will humbly offer my mirror-tutorial as an example. My
current build is viewable at http://docs.frields.org -- you will find
other docs there that are not good examples, but the mirror-tutorial
follows guidelines we hashed out on the list previously.

Thanks for participating!

[1] http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-quick-start/
[2] http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/
--