Self-Introduction: Duncan Lithgow

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 23:54:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 19:17 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> from: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject_2fSelfIntroduction
> > The below items in bold are Required while the other items are
> optional but highly recommended.
>
> WTF!!??  People volunteer to help and get rather long list of *required*
> information!!?? I reserve further comment and decided it would be bad
> form for a new user to edit the wiki... I won't even start talking about
> right to privacy and the idea of a meritocracy!

I changed the word to "Requested", since this matches the concept and
spirit better.  Hopefully less offensive, eh? ;-)

>         I'm a trained 'english as a foreign language' (efl/esl) teacher
>         - so i'm passionate on the need for docs written in easy to
>         understand english - far too much is written for advanced
>         english speakers - think how many non english speakers try to
>         make use of these docs.

I suffer from overly complex English in my writing.  I am very
interested in this subject, particularly for self-improvement and the
usability of FLOSS in developing nations.  We haven't connected much
with the internationalization (i18n) project, but when we do have
something to ask them to translate, I'd like it to be good from the
start.

Please watch for the style guide announcement, perhaps as early as next
week.  We want to address writing for i18n at the earliest stages of
document creation.  I'll be curious to see your comments on what it says
about these subjects.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide