Competition and Integration

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Mon Apr 11 14:30:51 UTC 2005

> >>How does http://ubuntuguide.org/ stack up against our fedorafaq.org?
> >>

> >Its not ours
> >

> Thats the key point here. I am not sure what we can do about it.

We can't point to it. We can just suggest to folk in our documentation
that googling for certain strings like "Fedora faq" might be helpful

(iirc, this is what I got from the lawyers the last time, but check
again)

> Obviously we cant link to the FAQ and call it official for legal
> reasons
> but we can maybe pick the legally and idealogically safe questions
> and
> put in fedora.redhat.com/docs but that wouldnt serve as the canonical
> resource that it should be.  The other choice would be to totally

That would mean getting Max, to agree to his faq becoming merged at the
main site, and of less importance

Boy were there troubles I remember when trying to sort this out at the
OpenOffice.org project (I used to be the unofficial FAQ maintainer
too...) There were just sadly about three other competing ideas when the
merger came and no one seemed to agree on anything useful it'd seem

>  ignore
> it and let it continue as it is. any other ideas?

If Max is happy with what he does, I say lets point to it. We should
decentralise as much as possible (we can have a faq on our site, but we
should allow for unofficial faqs)

Now back to ubuntuguide. The step-by-step guide _really_ does help new
users to Fedora (well, Ubuntu in that case). If someone's interested,
something like that should happen with the faq

BTW, I'm not sure if Max read's this list, but at some stage someone on
the Steering Committee (docs) should contact him
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi