[Fwd: Docbook wiki]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 21:53:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:26 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> Has anyone tried this?  Looks like a bridge between DocBook and a
> wiki-style of editing, as discussed on recent threads.
>
> I haven't yet tried actual editing with the software.

I tried the demo, but it was password protected.

http://www.soft.inima.al/book/edit.php

> email message attachment, "Forwarded message - Docbook wiki"
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 15:26 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Came across this http://doc-book.sourceforge.net/homepage/
> > It's a wiki frontend for creating docbook content. Sounds like a very
> > easy to make docbook content. Would be great if that would lead to more
> >   people contributing to the GNOME documentation if such an interface
> > was available

Ha!  It just goes to show you, no itch is an island.  If you see that it
needs to be done, chances are someone somewhere is already working on
it.

Upsides without doing a deeper review:

* Resolves most of the concerns from earlier by giving everyone what
they want to work with, and storing it all in XML in a CVS.

* It appears the developer does work using Fedora:

  http://www.soft.inima.al/book/INSTALL

Perhaps s/he is interested in maintaining a package for Extras?  Or
otherwise integrating with the Fedora Project?

Downsides I see so far:

* New piece of infrastructure required?  I don't know if we can get this
hosted on fedora.redhat.com, which is where it _should_ be.  That
requires someone to install, configure, and admin.

* Can it use our existing CVS seamlessly?

* Can we hack it effectively?  It already uses xsltproc, so we're most
of the way there, right?

* Do all the components come as packages?  I reckon this will be a
requirement of the host system administrator.
  swish-e
  viewcvs
  phpwebapp
  docbookwiki
    php = 4.3.2 (for some scripts)

Anyone with time and know how to:

A) Install the software.
B) Document the installation (at least notes).
C) Provide a report back to us on ease of installation and any other
software details worth mentioning?

I'm totally interested, and also totally don't have time to do it now.
Also, all my lab machines are busy. :/

Very promising!

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide