Comments on Documentation Idea

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 03:30:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 18:56 -0500, Thomas Jones wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >>I think he's talking about the general, high-level stuff you might get
> >>if you googled "linux security" or something.
> >

> > Sure, but also things like "Practical UNIX and Internet Security,
> > "Computer Security: Art & Science," Gollmann's "Computer Security," and
> > such.
> >

> Personally, I would consider "standardized security guides" within the
> realm of the following sources:
>
> Information Assurance Technology Framework Release 3.1, National
> Security Agency
> Automated Tools for Testing Computer System Vulnerability, NIST Special
> Publication 800-6
> Establishing a Computer Security Incident Response Capability(CSIRC),
> NIST Special Publication 800-3
>
> A great many(granted not all) security resources written today is full
> of fluff and doesn't recognize or even mention industry standards or
> procedures. To tell you the truth, i've found that CS research
> papers(available from NEC) seem to contain more relevant content than
> alot of the published books. IMHO.

Okay, okay, you definitely win the Battle of the Citations.  ;-)  (Like
Karsten, my specialized experience doesn't fall into the security realm
either, except in a more esoteric sense.)  You're working from a
different definition for "standardized" than I intended, which is a good
indicator that I made a poor word choice.  "General practical" would
have been better, and would be more along the lines of the books I
named.  In any case, I'm glad we have a good security technical editor
aboard.