Using ulink

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:31:43 UTC 2005

> Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> >Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
> >>Great idea -- I don't have FOP, but this is defined behavior in the
> >>DocBook standards (as opposed to any cleverness on my part -- I just
> >>read it in DocBook:TDG!), so I'll be very surprised if it doesn't
> >>deliver as promised.
> >
> >DocBook is so complicated that most renderers don't implement the
> >full behavior; their goal is full support, but non-commercial tools
> >often do the "useful" parts first and then fill in the neat stuff.
> >
> I heard KDE takes up a useful subset and ensures that documents only use
> that. Might be something to look into

I would think <ulink> is a pretty DocBook feature, and FOP isn't in our
official toolchain (yet?), but Tommy is absolutely right.  Personally, I
don't relish the idea of telling people what part of DocBook they can
use.  I think this is way too much work for too little return.  Stick to
the standards, it'll be OK.  :-)

On the other hand, if FOP can't support a pretty basic DocBook function
like this, I wonder where else it might fall down.  Frankly, I don't
know how much anyone cares about PDF generation for these things; if you
can see it in a Web browser, you can print it, save it, whatever.  CSS
will take care of eliminating Web navigation paraphrenalia (see Red Hat
Magazine for some good usage).