Using ulink

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 17:35:16 UTC 2005

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 12:09 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
>
>>Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>>

>>>But wait!  It gets easier.  DocBook XML specifies that when the XML tag
>>>closes itself (i.e. you don't provide any link text), the link itself is
>>>used as the text for any rendering process.  So what you should probably
>>>do instead, for better XML readability, is this:
>>>
>>><ulink url="http://some.link.to/somewhere/"/>
>>
>>Could you (or someone who has time) check this using a small example
>>with Apache FOP?  This is so clever that it may not be implemented in
>>some rederers.  IIRC, the tentative PDF rendering solution was to
>>involve FOP.
>

> Great idea -- I don't have FOP, but this is defined behavior in the
> DocBook standards (as opposed to any cleverness on my part -- I just
> read it in DocBook:TDG!), so I'll be very surprised if it doesn't
> deliver as promised.

Keep in mind that this is the "recommended" behavior for the
stylesheets. In reality, an implementer can do whatever she wants.

Fortunately, though, the (xsl) stylesheets are mostly developed by the
same folks who work on the DocBook schema standards, so the docbook xsl
stylesheets are likely compliant.

> I'll yield this task to someone who has it
> installed.  Is Mark Johnson out there?  I thought he used FOP, but I'm
> not sure.

I'd be happy to do a FOP build if someone can suggest an FDP doc for the
test build...

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242