proposal: Setting up a samba server on Fedora Core 4

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Mon Aug 22 00:21:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 01:54 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 21.08.2005, 14:25 -0400 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> > A hint for 2.1 -- avoid system-config-packages, since it will often fail
> > for updated systems.  Just include the yum instructions, since that
> > should always work.
>
> I must admit that I nearly never use system-config-packages. But instead
> of not mention it it may be better to emphazise yum and rpm, but inform
> about s-c-packages and give the hint, that it sometimes may fail.

Most experienced users know the limitations of system-config-packages
(and usually avoid it), but it catches out the less knowledgeable people
it's supposed to help most :(.

Since yum now works on FC4 with no setup, it is probably the best
software installation method to recommend at present. This format is
relatively simple, and does the right thing without requiring much
understanding on the part of the user:

"1) Open a terminal window.

2) In the terminal window, type the following command:

su -c 'yum install samba'

When prompted, enter the root password"

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA