Fedora User Guide

Andrew Hudson webmanagement at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 02:11:25 UTC 2005

Karsten Wade wrote:
  > Any questions or thoughts to start?
 >
 > - Karsten

Thanks for the welcome!

My initial thoughts on the documentation is that it is perfect for
established users, i.e., those who have installed a Linux distro
previously. However, if I were to put my wife in front of two computers,
one with the docs on screen and one with Fedora on screen - she would
not really have a clue where to begin.

Looking at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/DocIdeas I quite
like the look of the Fedora User Guide - this could be a crucial
document to help new users ease their way into Fedora & Linux in
general. I would see it as being written in a conversational style
rather than a straight 'here are the facts in a particular order'.

Depending on how in-depth we are looking it could also include some
task-based exercises to get users familiar with the software. What are
other people's thoughts?

If we are to succeed in promoting Fedora, then some of the barriers to
entry have to be removed - the Fedora User Guide would be a powerful
sledgehammer to pound down the walls of FUD.

Thanks,

Andy