organizing CVS for trans

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:59:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 12:01 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>, spake thus:
>
> > How should the files live?  In the same directory as the other XML, just
> > with a country code identifier?
>
> Yes. Side-by-side.  foo-en.xml and foo-de.xml will make life easier.
>
> On the other hand, in-line translation also works.  Each paragraph
> gets an attribute (it already defaults to "en" IIRC).  The translated
> paragraphs can be placed under the "en" paragraph with a "de"
> attribute, or whatever.  Then, we start up the xmlto setting the
> desired language.  Personally, I like this method best.
>
> Haven't done either approach very much, but these are common
> suggested approaches.  TCF, what is your take?

Just my $0.02 -- I think this is the best solution also technically, but
the only thing I would be worried about is contributors who
inadvertently screw up translated sections (errant keystrokes, etc.) and
don't know that they've done so since they can't read the text.  Does
this approach gain us enough to balance out that risk?  Otherwise, I
think it's a super idea.