Docs packaging

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:53:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 20:29 -0400, Mark Johnson wrote:
> >>- program related guides bundled with the program (e.g. Samba
> >>  guide in the Samba devision), either in core of extra, depends
> >>  on the programs location
> >
> > We would have a harder time arguing for Samba docs to be available in
> > Core just because Samba was.  I think these are perfect for Extras.
>
> Despite where they live, the docs packages could simply follow the
> debian docs package naming policy:
>
>    Documentation for package foo is in the package foo-doc
>
> Doing it this way eliminates the need for coordination with upstream.

Unfortunately it would create conflicts in the RPM database namespace,
since some packages have their own -doc subpackages.  I think sticking
with fedora-docs-foo is probably a better idea for that reason alone.
The "foo-doc" name would also create the illusion (given RPM namespace
conventions) that the documentation was part of the original source and
not a graft by FDP.

> Debian systems have a very nice setup for the /usr/share/doc/index.html
> (produced by the dhelp package and which shows up via apache as
> http://localhost/doc/HTML/index.html) as well as a number of cgi-based
> packages that allow access to all the docs that are registered (via
> packager tools) in the doc system.

We should be able to handle this in packaging as well, between
manipulating the existing /usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html (default
browser page), scrollkeeper, and yelp.

> I'd also like to second Dave Malcolm's suggestion about packaging the
> xml sources so they register in both gnome & kde help systems. (Caveat,
> I know how the yelp system works in this regard, but am completely
> ignorant of the kde doc/help registration.) I do know that it's not at
> all difficult to package xml source files so that they show up in yelp.
>
> My $0.02...

I think that scrollkeeper is very much the same way; there should be a
way to more or less wrap the existing XML sources in a OMF file for
scrollkeeper.  Then GNOME help will also register the files.