organizing CVS for trans

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Aug 25 23:31:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 11:03 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Hi docs team
>
> I am coming from fedora-trans-list, Japanese translator, Noriko
> Mizumoto. I am so excited hearing the news that docs team is preparing
> to host translation. I would like to say thank you, and am looking for
> something that I can help. Please let me know if it is recommended to
> make self introduction as translator, I am most happy to do so.

That would be great to do.  If you have done it already, you could just
send us a link to that self-intro.

> To me it would be nice if translators can work on po files similar to
> fedora software modules we are currently working, since this must be one
> of safe way to minimize translator from messing up tags. However this
> might be required more time of your side, I guess.
>
> When the format will go with inline, the file can only be translated by
> one translator at the time and other translators have to wait for
> her/his turn, if my understanding is correct.
> Then it seems that this is not practical for release notes which has
> strictly limited time-frame for both docs and trans.

Yes, this is how the RHEL documentation is translated, with separate XML
files per language.

Despite our geekish preference for translations all in one file, it is
clear we need to make them separate files.

foo-en.xml
foo-it.xml
foo-ru.xml
foo-jp.xml

Should we want to combine then in the future, I bet there is some way to
do it in Perl.[1]

- Karsten
[1] Isn't this true of everything?
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide