XML style for translation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:07:24 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:58 -0400, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > Now as we focus on the translation problems, er,
> > opportunities, I'd like a definitive answer about this.
> >
> > Which of the following formatting paragraph styles does the translation team
> > find more friendly:
> >
> > 	When in anger or in doubt, run in
> > 	circles, scream and shout.  The
> > 	quick brown fox jumped over the
> > 	lazy dog.
> >
> > or:
> >
> > 	When in anger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.
> > 	The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
> >
> > Specificly, should each sentence from the source document be:
> >
> > 	1) lines justified all together into the semblance
> > 	   of a paragraph; or
> > 	2) a separate line, no matter how long it gets.
>
> Hopefully, the new XML diff tools won't care which style is used. But I
> guess we need to hear from translation to get the definitive answer on
> this. FWIW, glad you raised this issue, T.
>
> "Only your translator knows for sure..."

Right... xmlformat doesn't care about preserving any presentation other
than inside CDATA type containers.  *Unless* we decide to go the other
way and use "foo-doc-XX.xml" for each language, in which case we can
restrict tidy-bowl to just particular languages.  AFAIK, xmlformat will
not be able to respect parallel structures based on the "lang"
attribute.