[RFC] DocsRawhide enhancements

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 12:31:42 UTC 2005

> Karsten Wade wrote:
>
> >The DocsRawhide (rawhide of documentation) beta has been live for a
> >little while:
> >
> >http://webtest.fedora.redhat.com/docs/
> >
> >There are many purposes this basic technology can be used for.
> >
> >At it's core, it checks out the latest content from CVS and builds it at
> >static URLs.
> >
> >This is fully draft, may burn your computer documentation.  It's purpose
> >is to let anyone view what is in CVS without needing a build
> >environment.
> >
> >What are your ideas of what to do with this tool?  What should we make
> >it do?
> >

> My original idea behind the suggestion was to enhance visibility to the
> documentation in progress and potentially get more reviewers and
> contributors and bring in transparency to the project.  Fedora
> Documentation could sit into a portal with links and search for the
> following information
>
> * End user docs
> * Printed books -  Fedora books from
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Books and perhaps
> http://www.redhat.com/magazine/013nov05/features/bookreview/,
> * Red Hat magazine
> * Manual and info pages - see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/FedoraDocsSchedule
> * In progress docs (docs rawhide) with appropriate warnings
> * RPM Package lists with meta data information about the packages.

This sounds like a good application for Fedora Unity IMHO.

> RPM The package descriptions in many cases are vague or outdated. I saw
> a reference to the SELinux  in the IRC meeting logs which applies RPM
> package descriptions too. The Fedora documentation project should  be
> accountable for the end user docs, man and info pages, keeping track of
> printed books and active involvement and coordination towards getting
> more such books published even from the formal Fedora docs. package
> description and website content etc to cover everything comprehensively.

Tell you what, as soon as the contributors start the stampede, we'll get
right on this. ;-)  In the meantime, with only a few people contributing
actively we're at our limit just for the things we feel are absolutely
necessary - the Installation Guide, Release Notes, etc.  It's a good
target to shoot for, if we get more manpower.