Packaging progress

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 07:22:22 UTC 2005

And in other news, RPM building now works for example-tutorial.  To
witness the awe-inspiring power, update your docs-common and
example-tutorial modules.  Then do the following:

1.  cd docs-common
2.  make rpm
3.  su -c 'yum localinstall fedora-doc-common*.noarch.rpm'
4.  cd ../example-tutorial   # your path may be a little different
5.  make rpm
6.  su -c 'yum localinstall fedora-doc-example-tutorial*.noarch.rpm'

Note that the goodness comes through on both the GNOME and KDE menus,
and if you are running Rawhide (FC5test1 or above), you'll also see our
entries in the global "Help" menu.  (Yes, the draft watermark is still
there, but it will take me about 30 sec to get rid of that, but I'm too
tired right now.)

There are still a few minor quirks to iron out, like how to make
respectable %changelog entries that meet Fedora standards.  And building
from SRPM will work after I get some sleep.  ;-)  But these are pretty
minor compared to the work already done.

2006 is looking pretty good, at least from where I'm standing!