Packaging progress

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 17:07:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 02:22 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> And in other news, RPM building now works for example-tutorial.  To
> witness the awe-inspiring power, update your docs-common and
> example-tutorial modules.  Then do the following:
>
> 1.  cd docs-common
> 2.  make rpm
> 3.  su -c 'yum localinstall fedora-doc-common*.noarch.rpm'
> 4.  cd ../example-tutorial   # your path may be a little different
> 5.  make rpm
> 6.  su -c 'yum localinstall fedora-doc-example-tutorial*.noarch.rpm'
>
> Note that the goodness comes through on both the GNOME and KDE menus,
> and if you are running Rawhide (FC5test1 or above), you'll also see our
> entries in the global "Help" menu.  (Yes, the draft watermark is still
> there, but it will take me about 30 sec to get rid of that, but I'm too
> tired right now.)

Sorry to reply to myself, but that's fixed now.  Though the list would
like to know.  ;-)

> There are still a few minor quirks to iron out, like how to make
> respectable %changelog entries that meet Fedora standards.  And building
> from SRPM will work after I get some sleep.  ;-)  But these are pretty
> minor compared to the work already done.

Building from SRPM now works too, and HTML stuff has the draft watermark
if the SRPM is the source for the build.

Still remaining: %changelog lint stuff, and one added challenge:  Need
to draft watermark the XML stuff rendered in yelp by default.  I think
the DocBook in yelp may be rendered to HTML using the stuff
in /usr/share/yelp, but if anyone could pitch in an explanation and
advice, that would be great.  Please don't be afraid to be pedantic, it
helps not only me but the googlemind as well.  (*grumble grumble*
meinproc *grumble*)