tidy-bowl - BETA invitation!

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 22:41:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 22:20 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> I've been using xml-normalize and also tidy-bowl locally, and they both
> seem to work perfectly :)
>
> The first test document I used with tidy-bowl was edited with emacs/nxml
> and it realigned the text correctly.  I also messed around with spacing
> and text alignment within xml-normalize.

I did some runs using ../docs-common/bin/tidy-bowl against the SELinux
FAQ, which I *believed* to be a shining example of correct indentation,
etc.

Apparently I have some extra whitespace in there. :)  I also had to
reindent using the 72 characters width before running a meaningful diff.

http://people.redhat.com/kwade/fedora-docs/selinux-faq-post_tidy-bowl.diff

Every piece of that file had sgml-fill-element used (C-c C-q), save the
flush-left <screen> et al.  I would have expected zero or a few
differences.

Let's look at the kind of diffs generated:

* Whitespace decisions -- that seems to come from "para normalize =
yes".  I can accept that I have extraneous whitespace, and it was picked
up and fixed.  That's good.

* Some tags have breaks before and after, perhaps meaning they are not
being recognized as inline.  These include <ulink> and <abbrev>.  I
suppose I should put a line in xmlformat-fdp.conf, except there is one
for <ulink> already to make it inline.  Hmmm.  I tried adding "entry-
break" and "exit-break" set to 0 for ulink, but it still makes line
breaks.

* A number of paragraphs appear to have been indented by a single space.
These might have been spaces-not-tabs indents that I didn't clean up
after I fixed my .emacs to stop doing that.  I.e., I went back to using
tabs-as-tabs to match with the default Emacs install on Fedora Core, but
I may not have fixed up this document and it is using spaces-as-tabs.

* All of my double-spaces after periods have been replaced with single-
spaces.  I thought that DocBook liked the double-space after a period?
Or am I just left in the typewriter age on that one?

On the whole, the document looks as if it is better and certainly more
normalized for the treatment.  Hopefully my mysteries aren't that
mysterious.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide