HCL Considered Harmfull [Re: Fedora HCL guide writers?]

George Ganoe geoganoe at cox.net
Sun Jun 5 19:07:25 UTC 2005

Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 11:55 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:50:49 -0700 Chidananda Jayakeerti
>
>><ajchida at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

> I do not think that having an HCL will be a good idea for Fedora.
>
> <snip>
>
>>Fedora now includes an Installation Guide and Release Notes that
>>describe the minimal hardware configuration, in generic terms.
>

> I definitely agree with Tommy that attempting a HCL would be a bad idea.
> Thinking about it, perhaps the problem itself has changed over the years
> too - these days the install process will probably complete on any
> common Intel-compatible hardware, so the question is no longer "can I
> install Linux on this machine ?", but "will I need to carry out extra
> steps afterwards to get some functions to work ?"
>
> I also agree that getting specific information on particular makes and
> models is best done by Googling.  Perhaps we can usefully make some
> general statements in the Release Notes, though ?   For example, when I
> install Fedora on a laptop it's almost a certainty that neither the
> modem nor the wireless card will work, and ACPI is unlikely as well, but
> our existing documentation doesn't really acknowledge this, or provide
> positive guidance as to how to go about finding solutions.

While I agree that taking on the task of an HCL is a monumental
job, as a five year Red Hat/Fedora user, I believe it would be
a tremendous service to the user community to have a HIL (Hardware
Incompatibility List).  Many times I hesitate to buy new hardware
because I can't find information about what models will work with
my OS, and it is a daunting job to even begin the task of finding
out.  A list of things to stay away from would be a great help.

                        George