HCL Considered Harmfull [Re: Fedora HCL guide writers?]

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sun Jun 5 20:58:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 15:23 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:

> I think an 'HIL' would suffer exactly the same problems and an HCL, just
> from a different perspective.

+1.  The rate of change is very high, especially in some of the problem
areas (wireless, graphics).

> Anymore, such a list is really not even
> necessary. Very, very little hardware still cannot be used with Linux.
> Some older, proprietary, and rare hardware will not run, but overall
> your odds are as good with Linux as they are with Windows. The only
> concern is how much effort getting the hardware to run will take.

Yes.  Most issues/complaints are now around certain types of feature
cannot be supported out-of-the-box, often because the manufacturers are
opposed (3D acceleration with most standard graphics chips, 802.11g
wireless, Winmodems).  So I would be in favour of some general
information that explains why the issues exist, and makes some
suggestions (check support sites, www.google.com/linux with chipset
number etc.).  Arguably some types of hardware are common enough and
have well-known fixes, so specific notes might be feasible (Centrino
wireless, Nvidia graphics).  A list of specific models that incorporate
these chips would be doomed, though, IMO.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA