Re: HCL Considered Harmfull [Re: Fedora HCL guide writers?]

Chidananda Jayakeerti wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far. I do understand the task is
monumental. However, if drivers are being written and maintained for
hardware, maintaining a compatibility list should be possible and will
be immensly use to users.

Is it possible to achieve an HCL for limited set of hardware, to begin
with. Servers and workstations can be a good start.  We do not have to
maintain an exhaustive list of webcams' keyboards, printers
(linuxprinting does a good job)  and mice etc.

We could also have several maintainers for the HCL based on categories.

Chida

Trying, especially with a non-commercial project, to maintain any sort of HCL is a dangerous effort. Those writing the HCL will always be chasing the facts. Things simply change too rapidly. Even when you break it down to a small subset, attempting maintenance is a daunting task. On top of that, it is impossible to guarantee that any particular piece of hardware will work. There are simply too many variables. Certifying hardware for a price is one thing, trying to compile a list of all working vs. non-working hardware is another. Even certification programs have not been very successful. It creates a huge user-support nightmare, with people constantly complaining because the list says one thing and they get different results. There is no way to avoid this problem. The effort would be better spent trying to make the stuff work, not listing what works and what doesn't.

The Fedora Project trying to maintain a list of compatible hardware
would be a never-ending nightmare, creating more problems than it
solves, and with no gain for the community or the project.  We don't
have a very large team of writers as it is, and the other developers
need not waste their time maintaining such a list.  You should ask Mike
Harris for his opinion on telling people whether or not something should
work.  He makes a good point.  It is simply not something we should
engage at any level.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 n-man com