CVS problem

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 9 19:57:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 15:45 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 13:56 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 12:03 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> >

> > >    B)  Provide a shell script that will do the cleanup and importing
> > >        for them and ask that they use the script instead of doing the
> > >        CVS import themselves.  We'll still have to clean up the
> > >        mess when they ignore the script and try to learn about CVS
> > >        by doing the import manually; or
> > >

> I don't think B sounds too hard either.  And it goes hand-in-hand with
> the Documentation Guide's "LearnAsYouGo" slant.  I'll make this part of
> the considerations for the hands-on portion, with the idea that it will
> be equally helpful to participants who don't need as much hand-holding.

As long as B and D are not exclusive.  In other words, the shell script
is a hand-holding that duplicates the work the rest of us like to do
manually.  One can progress from the script to manual work, when ready.

It seems to me our direction is clear, in that all the CVS heads *and*
me agree. :)

1. Move all of the common files to a single module, docs-common
2. Make that a peer of other modules, in terms of build environment and
how it is pulled from CVS
3. Adjust build environment and parent XML files to use the new module]
4. Create a shell script that automates the following:
   a. Clean-up before initial import of source
   b. Clean-up prior to each commit ... maybe it removes all ~ files and
puts anything in .cvsignore that is not already in CVS?

How does that look?

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide