utf-8 encoding when building

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 20:37:35 UTC 2005

This is a status update about some encoding issues we have had building
and serving Fedora Core documents.

This came to a head recently because the release notes I built were
utf-8 encoded but fedora.redhat.com was not specifying that in the
default, iirc) and had funny characters.

Today we adjusted the page templates to use UTF-8, which removes all the
ugly characters for those docs, and introduces a few character problems
in docs built using other character sets.

Examples of the latter are the Stateless Linux Tutorial and the Apache
SELinux doc.  The problem there is not as visually acute, and I can
rebuild them with a UTF-8 envar and see if that fixes stuff.

I'm not sure what we are going to do about all this, but my feeling is
that we should *start* from wherever the Fedora Core default is.  If
that is UTF-8, that's what we should be using as a baseline.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide