Bugzilla assistance

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:14:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 12:52 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 10:57 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Karsten (or others),
> >
> > Is it possible that some of the folks here could get Bugzilla
> > "clearance" to help resolve and reassign bugs in Bugzilla?  There's a
> > number of bugs starting to pile up that are either (1) bugs that should
> > be filed against other components, (2) quick fixes that we could resolve
> > after fixing in CVS, or (3) blank bugs saved either by accident or
> > through user Lack O' Clue(tm).  While it's possible that this initial
> > surge may die down, would you like some help clearing out some of the
> > chaff?  Consider this an offer of same.
>
> Short answer, yes, please.
>
> One can certainly clear up the issue within the bug without having any
> further bugzilla access, right?
>
> I don't know how to fool with bugzilla ACLs, that's something we can
> discuss.  I -think- that any user can at least add information to a bug,
> such as a patch or, better yet, a pointer to the fact that it is fixed
> in CVS.
>
> When fixing in CVS, I highly recommend referring to the specific
> bugzilla number in the CVS commit message.  This ties together the two
> disparate pieces.  I'll put this in the Doc Guide to-add list.

I've been fixing a couple tidbits here and there.  In my CVS commit
message I make sure I have, on a separate line (and sometimes this will
be the whole of the message if the bug is self-explanatory):

  Fix bug #123456

It probably doesn't matter what text people use, but having a
number/pound sign "#" before the bug is a good thing.  I've seen people
do some cool automagical things with CVS commit messages and Perl, and
having a marker for the bug number definitely helps.